Requesting a Letter of Support
The Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) has established the following process for organizations seeking a letter of support. In those situations where OTDA provides a letter of support, it must be recognized that OTDA is neither a partner nor a required assuring entity for the grant. OTDA recognizes that grant applicants, if successful, may be able to support and/or enhance services consistent with OTDA’s mission, thereby, improving the lives of those OTDA serves by maximizing funding resources other then those provided by OTDA. For this reason, OTDA may wish to provide a letter of support.
OTDA will review proposals carefully and will give each request serious consideration; paying particular attention to the programmatic, fiscal, administrative, and legal aspects of the proposal and the anticipated outcomes for low-income families and individuals.
The following procedure should serve as a minimal guideline for all applicants seeking a letter of support.
The applicant must submit a formal request for a letter of support to OTDA. Requests for letters of support should come from the CEO of the requesting organization and should be submitted to OTDA ten (10) business days prior to the application deadline. An exception to the submission deadline can be made if the applicant demonstrates good cause for a reduced time frame.
Send written correspondence requesting a letter of support to:
Commissioner, Kristin M. Proud
NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
40 North Pearl Street
Albany, NY 12243
- The request should, at a minimum, include:
- Brief overview of the organization requesting a letter of support;
- Name and funding opportunity;
- Brief description of the program proposal including target population, geographic area to be served, and measurable outcomes expected;
- Total dollars being requested, including any in-kind commitment to the program
- Whether an evaluation of the program will be prepared and a report issued and if not, how the effectiveness of the program model will be determined;
- Statement that a recent audit of the requesting organization was conducted and there were no serious findings reported;
- Name and address of the organization the letter of support should be directed to;
- Authorized contact person and telephone number of the requesting organization.
- The request will be reviewed within OTDA and a decision made as to the appropriateness of providing a letter of support. For those requests that are approved, OTDA will prepare the letter and forward it to the appropriate organization with a copy to the requesting organization.