Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
HEAP is a federally funded program that assists low-income New Yorkers with the cost of heating their homes. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency. Questions regarding the HEAP program should be directed to your local department of social services office.
- Regular Benefit
Regular benefit component assists households that pay a high proportion of household income for energy. The 2015-16 Regular benefit component opened November 16, 2015 and closed on April 8, 2016.
- Emergency Benefit
The Emergency benefit component assists qualifying low-income New Yorkers who are facing a heat or heat related energy emergency and do not have resources above the established limits. The 2015-16 Emergency benefit component opened January 4, 2016 closed on April 8, 2016. If you have an emergency, contact your local department of social services office.
- Heating Equipment Repair or Replacement
The Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement benefit component helps eligible low-income homeowners repair or replace primary heating source functional. The 2015-16 Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement benefit component opened November 9, 2015 and closed January 29, 2016. If you have an emergency, contact your local department of social services office.
- Heating Equipment Tune-Up
- The Heating Equipment Tune-up benefit provides for equipment inspections and cleanings prior to the start of the heating season for eligible households. The 2016 Heating Equipment Tune-Up benefit opened August 1, 2016 and will operate through November 4, 2016 or until funding is exhausted.
- Cooling Assistance
- The Cooling Assistance component provides for cooling assistance services to HEAP eligible households that include an individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by heat. Because the amount of funding is very limited, cooling assistance services will be provided on a first come, first served basis. The 2015-16 Cooling Assistance component opens May 2, 2016 closed July 29, 2016.=
- Income Guidelines
- 2015-2016 HEAP Gross Monthly Income Guidelines
Questions regarding the HEAP program should be directed to your local department of social services office or the OTDA Hotline at 1-800-342-3009.
HEAP Related Links
This page contains links to PDF documents. Download Acrobat Reader to view these documents.