Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
HEAP is a federally funded program that issues heating benefits to supplement a household’s annual energy cost. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency. Additionally, HEAP offers a heating equipment repair and/or replacement benefit for homeowners with inoperable heating equipment.
HEAP may help you pay for Electricity, Propane, Natural Gas, Wood, Oil, Kerosene, Coal, or any other heating fuel.
- Regular Benefit
- The HEAP regular benefit component assists low-income New Yorkers with the cost of heating their homes. The Regular Benefit of the 2012-13 HEAP season opened November 19, 2012 and will close Friday, March 15, 2013.
- Emergency Benefit
- The HEAP emergency benefit component assists qualifying low-income New Yorkers who are facing a heat or heat related energy emergency and do not have resources above the established limits. The Emergency Benefit Component of the 2012-13 HEAP season opened January 2, 2013 and will close Friday, March 15, 2013. If you have an emergency, contact local department of social services office.
- Heating Equipment Repair or Replacement
- The heating equipment repair and replacement component is available to help eligible low-income homeowners repair or replace primary heating equipment necessary to keep the home’s primary heating source functional. The Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement Component of the 2012-13 HEAP season closed February 1, 2013.
- Cooling Assistance
- The HEAP Cooling Assistance Program provides for cooling assistance services to HEAP eligible households that include an individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by heat. Because the amount of funding is very limited, cooling assistance services will be provided on a first come, first served basis. The HEAP Cooling Assistance Program is open April 1, 2013 through August 30, 2013 or until the funds run out, whichever comes first.
- Income Guidelines
- 2012-2013 HEAP Gross Monthly Income Guidelines
- HEAP Needs Assessment
- Notice of Public Comment Period for 2013-2014 Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
Questions regarding the HEAP program should be directed to your Local Department of Social Services Office or the NYS HEAP Hotline at 1-800-342-3009.
Want to see if you may be eligible? Complete a HEAP pre-screening on www.mybenefits.ny.gov.
HEAP Related Links
This page contains links to PDF documents. Download Acrobat Reader to view these documents.