Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
HEAP is a federally funded program that assists low-income New Yorkers with the cost of heating their homes. HEAP also offers an emergency benefit for households in a heat or heat related energy emergency.
- Regular Benefit
- Regular HEAP benefits assist households that pay a high proportion of household income for energy. The Regular Benefit Component of the 2014-15 HEAP season opened November 17, 2014.
- Emergency Benefit
- The HEAP Emergency Benefit Component assists qualifying low-income New Yorkers who are facing a heat or heat related energy emergency and do not have resources above the established limits. The Emergency Benefit Component of the 2014-15 HEAP season opened January 2, 2015. If you have an emergency, contact your local department of social services office.
- Heating Equipment Repair or Replacement
- The HEAP Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement Component helps eligible low-income homeowners repair or replace primary heating equipment necessary to keep the home's primary heating source functional. The HEAP Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement Benefit Component of the 2014-15 HEAP season opened November 10, 2014 and closed on January 09, 2015.
- Income Guidelines
- 2014-2015 HEAP Gross Monthly Income Guidelines
Questions regarding the HEAP program should be directed to your Local Department of Social Services Office or the NYS HEAP Hotline at 1-800-342-3009.
Want to see if you may be eligible? Complete a HEAP pre-screening on https://mybenefits.ny.gov/web/otda/prescreening.
To apply without pre-screening, go to the "If you would like to: Apply for Benefits" box on www.mybenefits.ny.gov.
HEAP Related Links
This page contains links to PDF documents. Download Acrobat Reader to view these documents.