Reporting Welfare Fraud

OTDA Home Resources & Data Reporting Welfare Fraud

Reporting Welfare Fraud

This page is only for reporting welfare fraud committed in New York State, for the following programs:

  • Public/Cash Assistance
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

To report welfare fraud being committed in a state outside of New York, visit the United Council on Welfare Fraud’s website to find contact information for welfare fraud reporting in other states.

To report other types of fraud committed in New York State, see Additional Fraud Reporting Resources below.

To report suspected Child Abuse/Child Maltreatment in New York State, call 1-800-342-3720. This is the toll-free number for the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment, operated 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services. Information about suspected child abuse and maltreatment that is reported to the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance using the Report Welfare Fraud Online Form will not be sent to the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment.

Potentially Fraudulent Welfare Situations That Can Be Reported

  • Unreported Income (either earned or unearned)
    • Please give the employer's name and address, type of income, when it started, how often paid, etc.
  • Hidden Assets (bank accounts, property, etc.)
    • Please give the bank's name and address, street address and city of property, etc.
  • Unreported Changes in Household Composition (either someone moved into or out of the home)
    • Please give the name of the individual who moved in/out, when the move took place, relationship of individual to case, approximate age of individual.
  • Unreported Changes in Shelter Costs/Falsified Shelter Costs
    • Please explain what changed or what was falsified, including landlord information and address.
  • False Parental Custody
    • Please give the name/approximate age of the child and address where the child is actually living.
  • SNAP Trafficking (Selling EBT cards for money, drugs, etc.)
    • Please give the name and address of the store or individual who buys the EBT card.

Welfare Fraud Reporting Form

Please complete OTDA's Report Welfare Fraud Online Form if you suspect, or have knowledge of, a social services client fraudulently receiving assistance in New York State from:

  • Public/Cash Assistance
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • or Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Once the form is completed, you will have the option to submit it electronically, print it and mail it in or fax it to the address indicated on the form.

Printable Welfare Fraud Reporting Form Now Available in Additional Languages

Complete a printable version of the Report Welfare Fraud Form in your preferred language by either:

  1. Electronically filling in the information and then printing the completed form, or
  2. Printing the form and completing it manually.

Thank you for your assistance in helping to maintain the integrity of New York State's assistance programs.

Additional Fraud Reporting Resources

  • New York State Medicaid/Medical Assistance Fraud - call 1-877-873-7283
  • SSI (Supplemental Security Income) Fraud - call 1-800-269-0271
  • Social Security Disability Insurance Fraud - call 1-800-269-0271
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Vendor Fraud - call 1-800-424-9121 or email

Back to Top