OTDA Home Programs & Services SNAP SNAP COVID-19 Information Creating a Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) Food Benefit Personal Identification Number (PIN) for a NYS Medicaid Common Benefit Identification Card (CBIC)
Creating a Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) Food Benefit Personal Identification Number (PIN) for a NYS Medicaid Common Benefit Identification Card (CBIC)
Before you can access your child’s P-EBT food benefits with your NYS Medicaid card, you must first call the EBT customer service hotline to select a personal identification number – or PIN.
- Using a touch-tone phone, dial 1-888-328-6399.
- When prompted, select your preferred language from those offered – for example, press ‘1’ for English.
- Next, you’ll be asked to enter the 19-digit number from the front of the card using your phone’s keypad.
- After entering the card number, you will hear a series of options. If you have not used the card before to access EBT benefits, like SNAP or cash assistance, press ‘1’ to create your PIN.
- You will be asked to enter the last four digits of the cardholder’s Social Security Number. The Cardholder is the person whose name is on the front of the card that the P-EBT food benefits have been issued to. Be sure to enter only the last 4 digits of that person’s Social Security Number.
- After entering the cardholder’s Social Security Number, you’ll be asked to enter your zip code.
- Finally, you will be asked to select your new 4-digit PIN. Enter a 4-digit number using your phone’s keypad. Memorize this number. Like when using a debit card, you’ll be asked to enter it whenever you make a purchase using your P-EBT food benefits with your NYS Medicaid card.
You’re now ready to use your P-EBT food benefits to purchase food at any participating food store! Most food stores accept EBT payments. Just look for the ‘Quest’ logo or ask at the store before shopping.
You can check your account balance at any time by calling 1-888-328-6399, by visiting http://www.connectebt.com/, or by having the cashier check your balance at the register at any participating food store.
For a detailed walkthrough of these instructions view the Activating a NYS Medicaid Card for P-EBT Food Benefits video.
Last updated: July 29, 2020, 9:30 AM
This page contains links to PDF documents. Download Acrobat Reader to view these documents.