Information on tax credit programs you may be eligible for, such as Earned Income Tax Credits, New York State Noncustodial Parent Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credits and Child and Dependent Care Tax Credits.
- Earned Income Tax Credits
- If you have low- to medium- income you may be entitled to these Federal and New York State refundable tax credits. The credits can help reduce your taxes.
- New York State Noncustodial Parent Earned Income Tax Credit
- If you are a low-income working noncustodial parent you may be eligible for the Noncustodial Parent Earned Income Tax Credit.
- Child Tax Credits
- The Federal Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit are tax credits offered for taxpayers raising dependent children under the age of 17. New York’s Empire State Child Tax Credit is a refundable credit for full-year New York State residents with children who qualify for the Federal Child Tax Credit and are at least four years of age.
- Child and Dependent Care Tax Credits
- The Federal Child and Dependent Care Credit is a tax credit offered by the federal government. There is also the New York State Child and Dependent Care Credit that helps more low-income families because, unlike the federal credit, it is refundable.
- Additional New York State Child and Earned Income Tax Payments
- If you filed your 2021 New York State income tax return (Form IT-201) on time and received the Empire State credit, New York State earned income credit (or noncustodial parent income credit), or both, you may qualify for an additional payment.
- New York State College Tuition Credit and College Tuition Itemized Deduction
- You are entitled to the New York State college tuition benefits if you were a full-year New York State resident who paid qualified college tuition expenses to an institution of higher education for yourself, spouse or dependent.
- Federal Tax Benefits for Education
- Federal tax credits to help pay for higher education: the American Opportunity Credit (formerly the Hope Credit) and the Lifetime Learning Credit.
- Real Property Tax Credits for Homeowners and Renters
- New York State offers a refundable property tax credits designed to assist low and moderate income taxpayers, particularly the elderly, to offset property tax costs. The credit is available to renters as well as homeowners and is refundable if it exceeds the taxpayer’s personal income tax liability.